1/06/2009

Of New Episodes, Songs, and Smut

Okay, this whole "Christmas break" or whateverthehell is going on needs to stop. Now. Is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms from not watching a television show? Seriously.

Well, the drought will soon be over as new episodes return next week. And I'm very happy to see that the next SIX weeks will bring us all new episodes, including the much-anticipated post Super Bowl episode on February 1st. In the meantime, I've been passing the time with almost daily fan fiction reading. I'm basically immersing myself in these amazing, crazy, unbelievable stories. I like the mix between inner monologues of things we did see, complete fabrications/guesses of things we didn't see, and the "alternative universe" stories about things that absolutely did not/will not happen. There are some incredibly talented writers out there.

And then there's the smut. Um...wow. Just wow. See, here's the thing. If you go to your local Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of some trashy romance novel, the mental picture in your head of the characters, their demeanor & mannerisms is completely created by your mind. Five people will read the same book and come up with five different versions of what the main characters look like and how they might look...um...engaging in certain activities. But with Office fan fiction, we already know what Jim & Pam look like. How they act. What clothes they wear. Even what their house looks like. So what would be just trashy romance novel stuff becomes much more vivid. The effect is...well, it's powerful, my friends. It's powerful. And I Cannot. Get. Enough. *blush*

Also, in my quest to remove myself even further from reality (a-la Dwight's Second Second Life), I'm also searching You Tube for fan-created JAM videos. Most are rather yawn-inducing, but there have been a few that stand out to me. This one is my absolute favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8JDQeCxzn0

The song is just lovely...and it's been stuck in my head for days. Now I cannot hear that song without thinking of Jim & Pam.

Well, less than a week until the next episode, called "The Duel". Saw a quick preview clip - looks VERY promising.

No comments: